DISCUS News- Tutor.com now available for free!
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Good news! DISCUS is offering tutor.com for free! (If you do not know your DISCUS username/password, look on the back of your MCHS I.D. card OR e-mail Ms. Felker at firstname.lastname@example.org)
|The South Carolina State Library will offer Tutor.com through Discus - South Carolina's Virtual Library. This temporary offering is available until June 30, 2020 to support students, parents and educators while schools and libraries are closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.|
Tutor.com connects students (and parents!) with expert tutors and career coaches in more than 80 subjects and test prep areas. The Tutor.com K-12 Learning Suite includes live, one-to-one tutoring, a real-time writing center, test preparation, practice quizzes and 24/7 access to worksheets, videos and tutorials.
Tutor.com has twenty years of experience providing online tutoring, homework help and test preparation and has served more than 18.5 million sessions. Ninety-five percent (95%) of their survey respondents report that Tutor.com helps them improve their grades, complete their homework assignments and raise their confidence.
South Carolina residents can access the online service from the library or from home on any computer or mobile device connected to the Internet. Tutoring is available 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m., seven days per week. This free service is made possible by the State Library of South Carolina.
To get started:
- Visit SCDiscus.org.
- In the A-Z list of resources, click on Tutor.com
- Login with your DISCUS account to get immediate access.
Tutor.com Added to DISCUS (All Areas / Media Specialists) Due to the recent school closings related to the COVID-19 virus, the State Library has temporarily added Tutor.com to Discus until June 30, 2020 with real time tutoring from 8am-10pm Sunday - Saturday. The K-12 Student Center includes Live Homework Help, WriteTutor Center, Test Prep Center, and a SkillsCenter Resource Library. Tutors are available with no appointment needed! Tutor.com features a variety of resources for students of all ages:
- Reading assistance for grades K-7 and grades 8-12 including genres, main idea, points of view, and text structures
- Math assistance and drop-off for Algebra I & II, Pre-calculus and Calculus, Geometry, Trigonometry, and Statistics
- Science assistance in biology, chemistry, earth science, and physics
- Writing tutors
- Computer literacy for Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- English assistance including grammar, literature, and vocabulary
- ESL and ELL for grades K-7 and grades 8-12
- Social studies - U.S. History, European History, World History, and Civics
- World languages - French, German, Spanish, and Italian
- SAT, PSAT, and ACT Test Prep
- AP Test Prep
To look at Tutor.com and other resources, go to https://www.scdiscus.org/discus-resources. For passwords and logins, you'll need to speak with your local media specialist/librarian to gain access if a password is required. Again, e-mail email@example.com if you need your username and password. Thanks!